Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Magick Vision!

About 7-8 years ago, I had laser eye surgery. I had worn glasses about as far back as I can remember, and it was wonderful not to have to cope with glasses or contacts or any of that for the last few years. However, they say all good things must come to an end, and in this instance, "they" are correct. My vision is not bad by a long shot. For the most part, I don't have to wear glasses at all. I work mostly at a computer, and I don't need them for that. Luckily, (or unluckily, depending on your point of view) I'm near sighted, so close things aren't a problem. What I DO need them for is driving. Not necessarily around town, since I'm very familiar with where I'm going and the road signs and all that...plus as I said, my vision isn't THAT bad. I can't really read street signs, though, until I'm right up on them, which is really annoying when you're on a road trip, which I tend to do, sometimes at the spur of the moment. With my new car (which you'll hear about later), I now have a GPS system, so at least I have something directing me. I actually prefer maps, but it helps to have a co-pilot who is good with maps when trying to maneuver through, say, downtown Chicago at rush hour when you really have to pee. I don't usually have a co-pilot, and when I do it's a crap shoot whether they actually know anything about how to read a map. And let's not forget I'm planning to drive from my own home base to Massachusetts later this fall, so having the GPS will be wonderful.




Anyway, what I've noticed with my new found eagle-eye vision is that I see things that aren't actually there. I don't know if I'm finally getting those witchy superpowers I keep hearing about or not, but I can now see how windshields will shatter if cars crash. I realize this makes me sound like a complete nut job, but it's true. Not all the time. Not even most of the time. But occasionally I can see little squares of light covering the windshields and black glass which I assume its the safety glass demarcation lines showing where the "safety shatter" fields are. And I should point out that I don't see this on my own windshield, although I do see it in my back glass. I think it's probably actually caused by the polarization of my prescription sunglasses, but I'd like to pretend it's a new super-power. You gotta take what you can get, right?

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's all that peyote and ipecac the crazy lady in the woods has been feeding you.

    No... no.... I'm sorry. That was Tara on True Blood.

    I have to remember the difference between Velma and HBO. I keep getting the two mixed up.

    FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE IN BOSTON should you want to hit the city while you're out here. SERIOUSLY. Otherwise you'll be ok. :)

    I've seen 'em, I think those black square thingies have to do with astigmatism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know about the magical seeing of safety glass, but laser eye surgery changed my life. Being able to read the numbers on the alarm clock when you wake up...priceless!

    ReplyDelete