Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Latest Obsessive TV Love

Ok, so I actually wanted to call this entry "something-not-witchy-and-probably-not-of-interest-to-anyone-but-it's-my-blog-so-I'll-talk-about-it", but I thought that might be going a bit too far.

As those of you who follow me on Twitter know, I have recently become enamoured of the BBC America show "Top Gear". (It's actually a BBC show, but not being in the UK...you know the rest.) For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a British show about cars. And as boring as that sounds, it's not at all. There are many words I could use to describe it. Here are a few:

Ludicrous
Crazy
Insane
Ridiculous
Amazing
Hilarious
Informative-in-a-not-really-useful-way-but-still-informative
Brilliant

I am not normally a fan of car shows. I can appreciate an aesthetically appealing car, but I don't give two flips about what's under the hood. And this is my favorite new show. The reason for this is because, while the three hosts do talk about engines and transmissions and horsepower and bonnets and boots and lids and of course, they mostly talk about cars we don't really have in America, like Lamborghinis and Ferraris and Renaults and lots of other things with funny names. BUT, they also do things like fly to South America, each buy a car for, say, a thousand dollars, and then drive them three thousand miles, stopping occasionally to 'test' the limits of the cars, or to fix them because they have fallen apart. And it's just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. Living alone, I naturally watch tv mostly, if not exclusively, alone. And those of you who watch tv alone can attest, it's rare to actually laugh out loud. At least, this is very rare for me. And every single episode I have seen as made me scare the cats laughing. (Only once did Tinka fall off the couch in surprise, but she's been a bit more skittish since).

You will learn, over the course of this blog, that I love just about all things British. I hope this doesn't cause any hives in anyone or anything. I would feel bad about that.

Smooches!

11 comments:

  1. Do NOT miss the 'Caravanning' one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I love just about all things British"
    Oh OH OH! P. G. Wodehouse books!
    Ok more specifically you should watch the "Jeeves and Wooster" TV show that is based on the books! It stars Hugh Laurie (HOUSE) and Stephen Fry and it is AMAZING!

    Much love,

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kp is that the one where they build their own RVs and drive them to Cornwall to camp, Jeremy's falls over and Hammond's catches fire?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ran out of new Top Gear on my Netflix yesterday! It is a truly fantastic show, I can't wait for the new series to start up. Love the blog so far, look forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very funny and I should watch it more. I have an allergic reaction to Jeremy Clarkson, however, who is a bit of an arse (to use the British term). If I can skip past his bits, I enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it is. Every trip these guys take is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @kp that one was on yesterday! I hadn't seen it before, but when Hammod and May pushed Clarkson's car of the cliff...well, let's just say the cats woke up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite TV show, and all-time favorite TV series are both from England:

    Coronation Street: British soap opera I watch same day as in England online--even watched it while vacationing in London and Jamaica on TV.

    The Prisoner: I have the entire boxed set series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I HATE cars....but I LOVE TopGear. If you ever get the chance, watch their Comedy Relief Special Top Ground Gear Force! I'm laughing just thinking about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in the UK and the new series is starting very very soon :P I loooooooove Top Gear! The road trips are always fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Top Gear is an amazing show! It's informative, funny and interesting. Top gear is the only program about cars that I will ever watch. The trio work so well together. xxx

    ReplyDelete